Laser2 outhaul

Dead end at the fairlead, through the eye on the sail, back through the fairlead, to the cleat. Clew tie-down line not as crazy tight as on the Laser, but nearly.

What other ways are there?

S
Dead end at the fairlead, through the eye on the sail, back through the fairlead, to the cleat. Clew tie-down line not as crazy tight as on the Laser, but nearly.

What other ways are there?
Since I don't have a Laser to compare it to, this reference doesn't help. With 2 passes through the fairlead the sheet does not move smoothly when I uncleat it. Is this normal? What type/thickness rope should be used?

Clew tie-down: just tie it so that the sail touches the boom.

Outhaul line: 4 mm Marlow pre-stretch was the original, I think, but any good polyester rope should do. 5 mm is the thickest that fits twice through the fairlead. And the line will run the smoothest when you tie it to the fairlead with a tight two round turns knot, and lead the moving part between that knot and the boom.

Generally, the outhaul is mostly a set-and-forget adjustment anyway. Don't worry too much about it.

Laser 2 is a crude boat in many ways. So it needs Lube.

Get some silicone spray that goes on dry, you can use Harken McLube but it's really expensive, ordinary stuff from the carparts shop works fine. Spray it on the end of the boom where the outhaul tie down goes, makes adjusting it much easier. Also spray the sail track on the mast, the difference this makes is huge and it's cheap to do. Also spray WD40 or similar on all the sheaves and any other moving part so there are no squeaks.

Back