lasers and big waves

pzl&24

once at nationals in the mexican gulf i was reaching very very fast and suddenly a 3 meter aprox wave was coming straight to me the things that past my head at that time were:
turn and get the wave straight or surf it.
im talking not waves made from wind.im talking big surfer waves
then y took the surf.option everithing was going well until my boat capziced in a very strange way the bow getted in the wave first then i was thrown to the air and my boat was destroyed by that wave
my mast was broke my sail destroyed (brand new sail) and my boom cracked
:confused: i was very confused and waited until marines came to help.nasty expirience

the worst thing was paying the new stuff

what can we do with this waves:mad:

Well, if the wave is NOT breaking, then you'd want to sail up it at an angle and let it simply pass beneath you, or, if that won't work try getting up a lot of speed and angle up it to make it over. I would NOT suggest sailing straight up it...even if you do make it to the top you have a nice 3 meter fall to look forward too. If the wave IS breaking....hell I'd start praying that my boat is not obliverated and jump off. If you have time however, I'd quicky turn around so I can avoid the worst and only be overtaken by the white wash.

everithing was going well until my boat capziced in a very strange way the bow getted in the wave first then i was thrown to the air and my boat was destroyed by that wave

In surfing, that would be called "pearling." --when your center of gravity is too far forward on the board and the nose goes under.

It is one of the worst wipeouts that a person can experience on a surfboard.

To have it happen in a 14-foot boat on a 9-foot wave must have been unimaginably disasterous.

You have my utmost sympathies . . .

Well this is a classic version of the PITCH POLE. I must say that this is the worest story of pitch poling i've eva heard!!!!! the best soultion is once on the wave to turn and surf the wave by the lee or broad reaching this way your on the wave longer and stay in control. Keep in control :>

Back