Lasers for sale in North America now made in UK???

I have read this elsewhere...
although that doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
And I wonder what is going on in the Rhode Island facility; just Sunfish, oppies and 420's now?

Jeffers, who contributes to this Forum, wrote earlier

The Lasers made in the UK are not actually being made by LP but by the firm that has been building them for the last few years. Where this fits in the grand scheme of things I could not really tell you.

I've been to LP and they do build lasers and other models in house, they had a ton of laser hulls there both UK built and USA built. Some of the UK built ones were built for the olympics, they usually build a ton of extras for the games.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. A little voice told me LP has no 2013 lasers built and no plans to build them in the future because they can't get ISAF plaques. Make of that what you will.

I've been to LP and they do build lasers and other models in house, they had a ton of laser hulls there both UK built and USA built. Some of the UK built ones were built for the olympics, they usually build a ton of extras for the games.
For the Sydney games, there were only a couple of extra boats built. The boat I purchased after the games, which wasn't of the games colours, was only 2-3 numbers beyond the number of entrants.

From what I have heard ISAF are still supplying hull plaques to Laser Performance so they can still build hulls and, in theory, be class legal.

The idea when Laser Performance moved to their new HQ in Long Buckby was that their manufacturer were going to follow them so everything was all in 1 place eliminating the need to transport hulls between locations. This never happened (the LP building in Long Bucky is in the middle of nowhere).

As for why UK built hulls are being sold in the US who knows but as they are all 1 company it is not inconceivable that it is more cost effective to build them in the UK then ship them in bulk over to the US.

Back