Light winds - old or new sail

lasereng

I've heard many debates about this and i veer towards the use of an older sail being beneficial in the light stuff due to its more natural bellow particularly in the bottom third of the sail. What does everyone else think!? It's one of those nagging things when I arrive in the boat park on a light wind day - sad I know!

In light winds get your weight forward. If its light enough sometimes you may end up hugging the mast. That will make the biggest difference.

It depends on how light really.

In a drifter (0-5kts) you want the sail pretty flat to keep the flow attached (using mainsheet tension to control the leech).

The 5-depowering get the sail as full as you are able to handle as you are looking for power.

Depowering conditions same as light conditions but using the cunningham and vang.

As for sail, as long as it still the correct shape there is little difference netween an old and a new sail. The problem is that due to the high loads on the Laser sail they tend to stretch in odd ways (generally down the luff due to cunnigham load or the leech but bot along the foot).

My personal choice is use the newest sail I have and then put an old rag of when it is howling (or use a replica if your club allows them).

For an open event pretty much always use the best sail you have.

Just my 2p as always....

Re: Light wind sail

You need to distingwish the conditions you describe i.e. "Light wind" (an actual breeze that is mixing from mast top to deck level) or a "Ligt air" (laminar flow where only perhaps the top section of the sail above the Laser emblem is actually working in moving air).

In the latter case, "below" shape below the emblem towards the foot gives only drag upwind (unstalled angles of attack) so which ever sail lets you trim flat and low drag below the emblem while letting you set the top part to suit the available moving air would be best.

If there actually is a light breeze (mixing so the strength and direction you see at deck level is roughly the same as that at the mast head) then a sail you can control the depth and position of draft at all levels is best)

And all of the above gets changed if there is "residual chop" from previous wind etc.

best if you work out the sail shape(s) you need for particular conditions and then evaluate whether you can gt them and maintain them easily enough in the prevailing conditions with each of the sails you have. Newer sails generally give you more options but understanding older sails can sometimes be just as effective

Back