looking at buying a home built sunfish...what do you guys think of this?

Domromer

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/4710962951.html

Screen Shot 2014-12-07 at 1.32.42 PM.jpg

Well, it depends on what you are looking for. It isn't a Sunfish, it is a Melonseed, which appears to be a lookalike. Given it is wood, it will not be maintenance free. Looks like a decent trailer and Sunfish rig, so later you could always use the Melonseed for firewood if you picked up a fiberglass Sunfish with rudder and daggerboard but no rig. Keep in mind that if you were to need rudder parts for some reason, they would likely not be available for an oddball like this unless it used off-the-shelf hardware that is still available. You can probably value the whole boat, rig and all, at $300 or 350, so then the question is what is the value of the trailer. BB

I live across the street from the beach. I'm looking for something low maintenance that is easy to rig, that I can put on a narrow kayak type cart and wheel across the street and over a small bridge over the dunes. I guess this boat doesn't meet the low maintenance criteria. I also never thought about the ease of acquiring parts.

I recently bought a 1974 Sunfish with a Continental trailer, new sail, in very decent shape for $500. I wish I lived right across the street from the beach, it would be fantastic with my boat. I have owned and redone several wooden Penguin Class Dinghies over the years. My $.02 worth is, if you are looking for an ongoing project buy a wooden boat, if you are looking for just sailing fun, get a glass one.

Back