Maiden Voyage!

c14_Scott

As a first-time sailor (not counting one vacation outing years ago on a Hobie-Cat), today marked the first outing on my new-to-me Capri 14.2.

Summary: Extremely lite wind / well inland (Rappahannock River in Va.) / no problems / great first trip!

After spending the last few weeks improving the trailer, replacing all lines, installing a motor mount and Honda BF-2, boom-kicker, tiller-tamer, and mast float, the big day finally arrived.

Forgive me for taking the chicken way out, but I picked a day with almost no wind. Hey, new to sailing and on a new boat to boot? I think I can be excused for wanting to figure out how everything works in a modest breeze. And work it did! Except when there was no wind at all, the boat moved along quite well thank you very much. And it was nothing but cool when I picked up enough speed to hear some turbulence around the rudder and a little water slap on the bow.

Oh, I know I was just creeping along, but it was the principle of the thing. I had a chance to see all the parts in action and with each trip, I suspect that I'll gain familiarity with how to control everything.

As a bonus, I did have 10 or 15 minutes of better wind and actually got to feel the boat lean a little bit. I moved up onto the seat back to level the boat and tinkered with the rudder to maximize speed. You better believe that I was ready to let go of that main sheet on a moments notice! "Testing" the mast float was NOT part of my plan for the day.

Impressions?

#1, I can't imagine running a boat like this without a tiller-tamer. How in the world could you function if you had to hold onto the tiller every second to avoid wild turns?

Next, tacking when the wind was stronger certainly got my attention! But, like driving a car or any other skill, I suppose that I'll get more comfortable over time.

And finally, that Honda BF-2 is spectacular. It moved the 14.2 along quite smartly and with some tension on both the steering and the throttle, I simply pointed it straight forward, set my speed, and steered with the rudder. When I was ready to sail, I closed the vent, closed the fuel shut-off, and tilted it up out of the water. The motor bracket (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/28128?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=28128) set things back just far enough to clear the traveler. You couldn't ask for a better motor for the desired task of getting to and from the ramp.

Oh, and that center-board cam cleat introduced me to a whole new level of pain when my ankle found one of them during a slide forward to reach the mast. Moving a 6' guy around a 14' boat is a workout, but that exercise is a significant part of my interest in this sport to begin with. But those cleats might have to go. My center-board might see some modified rigging before it's over with.

Many thanks to the months and years of previous posts here that gave me so many good ideas and answered so many questions. I hope this post wasn't a waste of space, but on the outside chance that anyone reading is also a beginner, the answer is "Yes", you can do it!

Hi Scott,
I'm very proud to be the first one to say. "Congratulations!!!".:)

To be honest, it isn't that easy learning to sail a boat as complicated as the C-14. I started on a wooden Sailfish which is barely more than an oversized surf board with a mast. Short of taking lessons, you are doing this exactly right and any other beginners reading this forum would be smart to follow your lead.

And you will get more comfortable, and you'll get to "know the ropes", and you'll look for windier days, and you'll take people along to help hold the boat down, and instead of being scary (which it should be in the beginning) it will start being just pure fun.

Enjoy!!!
Jim

Congrats Scott!
You are one sail ahead of me, and probably will be by several before I get into the water for my first sail. I've had my Capri less than a week now, and am making all the fittings strong and stainless (as opposed to rusty steel!). A few new trailer parts as well are needed, and I hope to be on the lake in a couple of weeks. You're a good read, keep it up! Photos? Craig

Back