My attempt at a roll-on trailer

Well I promised that I would get back to y’all when I finally converted my trailer to allow carrying my boat on its dolly.
First I appreciate all the input from those of you that have built these conversions. They convinced me it was pretty easy and showed me how to do it.
I basically took off my bunks and added 3 pretty simple pieces, all made from treated lumber (so I would not have to paint them). The 1st piece is a center channel, made from an 8ft 2x4 and two 8ft 1x4s. The 1x4s are cut a little shorter than the 2x4. The 1x4s are screwed to the 2x4, to form a U shaped channel, using 1-1/2” stainless steel screws (12 per side).
-- see Figures 1 & 2 --
I cut the 1x4 side pieces so that when the front of the dolly is pulled just over the roller on the front of the trailer, then the brace joining the dolly axle and longitudinal piece is snug against the 1x4 ends.
The side rails are just each a 5ft piece of 2x4, where the back 10” has been cut down and sanded smooth
-- see figures 3 & 4 --
The dolly axle rests on these side rails and there is just enough clearance so that I can add fenders to the trailer and the dolly wheels will still clear them. The straps holding the side rails to the trailer are pretty flimsy. I suspect I may have to have something more durable made up. An alternative is to use the waste 2x4 sections to add cross pieces joining the center U channel to the side rails.
A bonus to this design is that if I have to take the boat very long distances, then I can put some padding on the side rails, flip the boat upside down on them and transport it this way for the trip.
Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions, and pictures!
-- see figure 5

I've tried to attach 5 pics - not sure whether it will work since they are not showing up when I use preview

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 331
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 265
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 269
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 318
  • trailer5.jpg
    trailer5.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 346
That's a sweet little set up. You might want to put some kind of fenders on so the tires don't throw anything into your hull.

So, does the dolly actually slide up the back of the trailer, right on the outside 2x4's or do you actually have to lift it up on there? Looks like a great rig!!!! I might just have to do something just like that.

I have to lift it about a foot and a half. I attached some bungees to the dolly support arms and just clip them under the laser grab rails (could probably attach them to the hiking strap instead). This holds the boat on the dolly as I lift it up, then slide it forward.

I do have to get a couple fenders - guess I'll ask for them for Christmas along with a class legal sail for the FLA masters midwinters :)

I have to lift the boat/dolly up about 18". I attached a couple of bungees with hooks on the end to the dolly support arms. I stretch these and hook them under the laser grab rails. They keep the boat attached to the dolly (or the other way round) as I lift the boat up and slide the dolly onto the trailer.

I do have to get some fenders - maybe I'll ask for them for Christmas, along with a class legal sail so I can go down to the FLA masters midwinters :)

I saw a trailer just like that the other day except they put rollers on the bottom side of the cross bar of the dolly. It looks to make things easier but i wouldnt do it cause if the dolly brackets broke going down interstate 95 your boat would probably be gone. plus it probably puts alot of stress on the dolly.

My plan for long trips is to pad the 2 outside rails and put the laser on them upside down, with the dolly on top.

I only plan on trailering with the boat on the dolly for short trips to and from the sailing site.

Back