Need help on pricing a used Laser

Alan Glos

I have a very nice 1991 standard Laser (Hull ID Number: PSBE0740F091) that I may want to sell. The problem is that I don't deal in Lasers and could not find a comparable boat in the "For Sale" section of the Laser Forum. I am the second owner and sailed/club raced it for about 3 years. It has always been adult sailed and well cared for. It and all the parts and gear have been in dry, indoor storage for the last 10 years.

The hull is light and stiff, no dings or damage. No soft spots. All white. It has a standard issue Harken ratchet block and Harken cam cleats on the side deck for the mainsheet. It does not have the new controls for outhaul, vang and cunningham, but comes with the standard issue 1991 vintage lines and cleats for these controls. Also has plastic bailer and padded hiking strap.

The spars are straight and in excellent condtion.

The blades are white plastic with no dings or cracks. The tiller and extension are aluminum.

The lines are racing grade and in excellent condition. The outhaul line has stainless steel thimbles for extra purchase.

The sail is in very good to excellent condition, all white with window (class legal) with no rips, tears. holes or stitching problems. Battens are in excellent condition.

Extras include: Deck cover (heavy duty grey canvas) and a "Laser" brand blade bag in fair/good condition. There is also a grey canvas spar cover that covers the sail wrapped around the upper and lower mast.

I do not have a trailer or dolly for this boat.

The boat is located near Syracuse, NY and would need to be picked up or I could deliver a reasonable distance.

So how much should I ask if I decide to list it for sale? Post a reply or contact me directly at: [email protected]

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Most of the boats you might compare against are likely to have the upgraded rigging and at least a dolly, if not a trailer. Lack of these things drags down value as the buyer must usually buy them at full retail price.

Fresh or salt water sailed? A boat always sailed in fresh water won't have any spar corrosion around all the stainless rivets, which reduces value a bit.

So much depends on condition. I've seen boats crushed onto the trailer bunks by over-tight ratchet straps and with a couple major "soft spots" in the deck described as "excellent."

I'd venture the price range somwhere between 2500 down to 1000; purely dependent on condition, and how "in demand" lasers are in your area. If I examined the boat with my own eyes and hands, and then my own description matched up with yours; and folks were agressively looking to buy Lasers in my area, then closer to the 2500 end.

Let the folks you sail against know you're planning on selling, and have them take a look at it with an eye to getting a "second opinion" on the condition before deciding on a price.

Added to description: Never sailed in salt water - fresh water only. Rarely trailered -
usually kept in a form fitting bunk for storage hence no hull distortion.

Alan Glos

I purchased an 86 a couple of years ago in similar condition - the sails were not as good as yours are described and the lines were not racing quality, but it included a serviceable trailer and a pvc dolly that got me thru one season.
We settled on $1200 or therabouts as I remember. Probably not the number you wanted to hear!
Mike

As noted before a good way to find the value would be to compare your boat to others for sale. On eBay there is a 1991 laser for sale, you can see how much it goes for and compare what yours has and doesn't have and adjust the price accordingly. Please see link below.

1991 Laser on eBay

I have a very nice 1991 standard Laser (Hull ID Number: PSBE0740F091) that I may want to sell. The problem is that I don't deal in Lasers and could not find a comparable boat in the "For Sale" section of the Laser Forum....Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
That boat is worth approximately $500, and I will have a check to you on Monday!

Back