Need ideas on stainless steel plate for maststep.

jcstiefel

I just acquired a 1995 laser which is in great shape. But I have read a lot about maststep problems so I'm cautious and curious. If the maststep appears to be in good shape is there really a need to buy and drop in a stainless steel wear plate? Currently in the very bottom of my maststep I can see what appears to be a ring of shiny metal surrounding a circle of a non-shiny substance. I assume the shiny stuff is not steel since a magnet is not attracted to it. Any advice out there?

All lasers with higher numbers then ~125000 already has a metal plate to protect it from wear.

Hi,

"Good" Stainless is not magnetic, but cheaper SS probably is. It depends on the % of the Chrome content. "Good" SS is usually 316, or 16% chrome, cheap SS is 6 or 7%. The only thing a magnet sticks too in my boat tool/spares box are two Leatherman tools.

I wasn't aware the SS discs were in boats all the way back 125xxx.

Al Russell

It sounds like you have a newer laser which has the stainless steel
mast step plate built-in and covered with gelcoat. The edge of the
mast is causing the most wear, thus the ring.

If that is the case (and you will want to be sure of that), then it is not a
serious problem. As I understand it, class rules effectively prohibit
having two SS mast step plates, because that would make the mast
step hole too shallow.

Some laser sailors use teflon discs to protect the gelcoat. This is
entirely optional.

The important thing to check for is the wear on the sides of your mast
step. Too much wear there will cause leaks and - in the more extreme
cases - structural problems.

Sounds like the news is good regarding the (lack of) need for a stainless steel plate in my '95 Laser. But the warning about wear to the gelcoat around the sides of the maststep sounds somewhat ominous. What can be done to reduce wear to that area to a minimum...use "mast wear strips?"

the warning about wear to the gelcoat around the sides of the maststep sounds somewhat ominous.
It does not need to be ominous. Just have a look at it. Does it look worn to you? It is normal to have some wear, but too much wear can cause leaks.

If you are concerned at all, do the leak test (Fill mast step with water. Wait and see if the water drains out.)

What can be done to reduce wear to that area to a minimum...use "mast wear strips?"
Those may help to prevent mast step wear. I haven't tried them. You could use the search function of this forum to learn what other sailors think of them.

Give the mast step a good sluice out after every sail,clean the mast base and you'll be fine,my old heap has a tatty mast step,with a few repairs around the rim but the actual hole is fine,I just clean it out and ensure the mast bottom is clean.

The 125000s does seem like a long time ago. Can anyone confirm that that was when the wear plates were added. I talked to my local dealer and he said he wasnt aware that the wear plates were built in.

I just sold my 129304 and it had the same ring of metal stuff in the base of the mast step. That is just from the mast twisting overtime so don't worry. I never used a wear plate and I don't think you need to. In a few years maybe, or if the boat was previously very well used, but otherwise you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Hi,

"Good" Stainless is not magnetic, but cheaper SS probably is. It depends on the % of the Chrome content. "Good" SS is usually 316, or 16% chrome, cheap SS is 6 or 7%.

Good stainless? Stainless contains 5 different groupings of alloys that combine good corrosion resistance with specific other properties, of which one group is not magnetic, it doesn't mean that the other groups are poor stainless. For example, quality stainless steel cutlery / knives are made from martensitic stainless steel because it retains it's edge, make the same knife from from austenic (the non-magnetic stainless steel) the knife will never hold a sharp edge. The duplex stainless steels have better corrosion resistance in certain environments and are more ductile. The 316 alloy you mention has terrible resistance to pitting corrosion, so should never be used for example indoor swimming pool environments. Alloy selection is all about choosing the best alloy for a specific alloy, sometimes the cheaper alloy is the better choice and sometimes not.

What can be done to reduce wear to that area to a minimum...use "mast wear strips?"

Those wear strips can damage the gel coat as well. There's a thread (quite awhile ago) on this Forum documenting my own and somebody else's experience with these strips.

Back