No such thing as a dumb question..

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
But if there were such a thing, I’d feel comfortable with this being in that category…

If I have THOROUGHLY Thixo’d my plywood deck to my oax sides on my sailfish, do I have to put in the ring shank nails? Honestly, I’m not sure silicon bronze nails will go through hardened Thixo?

Test with some scraps. :cool:

I don't think there'd be any problem; however, I'd pre-drill the holes, but only as deep as to "just fully penetrate" the THIXO layer. Use a drill bit somewhat smaller than your nails' diameter.

While the THIXO layer can be penetrated by your nails, each nail's grip could create unwanted distortion of the wood's surface.

To get the "feel" necessary to gauge the depth the nail heads should be driven--just below (or level with) the wood deck's surface--I'd use a "nail-set" and drive them all during the same session.

Other woodworkers could add different insights, but that's how I'd do it! ;)

I don't think there'd be any problem; however, I'd pre-drill the holes, but only as deep as to "just fully penetrate" the THIXO layer. Use a drill bit somewhat smaller than your nails' diameter.

While the THIXO layer can be penetrated by your nails, each nail's grip could create unwanted distortion of the wood's surface.

To get the "feel" necessary to gauge the depth the nail heads should be driven--just below (or level with) the wood deck's surface--I'd use a "nail-set" and drive them all during the same session.

I don’t have time for the moaning chair, I’m seriously considering going without nails. Other plans include a bonfire from a stack of sunfish and sailfish.

I got in touch with the family that bought this boat from me. I’m taking the night to figure out next steps. I’ve practically had a nervous breakdown worrying about this. I think I’ve got to decide if I proceed further with installing the new hull halves using Thixo to build up the hull longeron where my deconstruction chewed into parts of it, or if I need to replace the longeron itself so that I’ve got the original bevel that allows the plywood hull to lay flat against the sides. Although screws are used in the center, not little nails, so that would be okay, but the outer edges between the sides and hull edge need to be much more accurately angled so that I don’t have such a thick layer of Thixo, sealing it tight.

If you bonded parts together with epoxy, the bond should be stronger than the individual parts. I'd be comfortable without nails...which btw would hold much less than screws.
Move on to your next step and refill your root beer.

If you bonded parts together with epoxy, the bond should be stronger than the individual parts. I'd be comfortable without nails...which btw would hold much less than screws.
Move on to your next step and refill your root beer.
Sigh...yes, I think I just really really really freaked out. Owner may be coming to pick up the boat as is, to transport to Walloon Lake in Michigan where she can be finished by someone else. If my health and time allowed, I would LOVE to finish her, but perhaps she will be completed by another. My hope is that person will love her as much as I have.

Back