Old boat - New Owner

Texashark

Howdy to all!
I have only been a member for 2 days now! I just purchased a Capri 14.2 last Saturday (14th), yesterday I put it all together to get familiar with it and find out what is missing or needs replaced, and this is my first thread on the forum and I am looking for advice! So here are some of my burning questions:
•I can’t nail down the year. The title says 1985 and it also says “Year built 1984” What is it or does it really matter? I would like to state one or the other when looking for parts.
•Data plate says Model # C-14.2, S/N 441. The sail # is 342. On the title, there is a 12 digit ID #, and I cannot locate this on the boat anywhere. Any suggestions?
•The boat did not come with a hatch. I think it should have one, and after reading a few stories on this forum, I think it should be pretty close to water tight when underway. Am I right? What are the hatches made of and how are they secured in place? I was thinking of attaching a bungee with a peg to pull it tight from the inside…maybe. Or buy one? Any suggestions?
•There was no boom vang assembly. Does anybody have any good part numbers on the pulleys? Or where I could get the vang pennant? Is this assembly sold as one piece? Also the pulley assembly for the jib halyard is not there. What are the best online stores for rigging?
•I understand the rigging for lifting the centerboard. I have another D-ring with a bungee that looks like it would hold the board down in the sailing position. And I would think you would need something like that. Am I missing a set-up or something?
•I need a new forestay. I have about 3 broken strands on mine that starting to unravel. Where could I buy one made to the proper length?
•I was told the rudder lock had pieces of rubber or leather in it to hold the rudder where you want it. Which was it? Also the lock was attached by a highly twisted piece of rope and it fell apart in my hand. I would think this needed to be secure. Is there a trick like a swivel or something used to attach it?

All this should keep me busy for a while. I am very anxious to get this in the water and do some sailing. I used to own an Enterprise while stationed in England. I kick myself daily for not spending the money to have that shipped back to the states.

This looks to be a great website and forum!!!!

William D. Rogers aka Texashark

Your boat is a mod 1 due to the low hull number and year built. Get a hatch from Catalina or make one out of plywood or plexiglass. If you capsize with out one, you might end up with water in the forepeak and beyond.

Your 12 digit number is etched on the transome of the boat just below the rub rail.

The vang is low tech 3:1. I like apsltd.com for rigging. You could also order one from Catalina yachts. Catalina for the forestay. Consider replacing the shrouds too.

Not sure about the rudder lock or your question about the center board.

Bob

Thanks for the quick info, FAN!!!

Rudder and rudder lock are in great shape and function properly. I guess I really meant the tightening lever (mine is a giant wing nut type) on the beaching style rudder. I understand it had some friction material in it that was either rubber or leather.

The center board is supposed to have a bungee to keep it down? How long and the diameter of bungee do I need? I have just figured out where it is connected to on teh inside of transome.

old boat - old owner

Hey William...I have an '85 and don't remember any rudder (rubber or leather) friction material. Fyi, center board uses a 4' x 3/8" shockcord. As for your other questions, try http://www.geocities.com/chrismfoy/ to find a '91 manual that seems to work for me.

bungee

The manual says 4' x 3/8".

I've been using a 3' bungee that i picked up at Home Depot and have had no troubles.

Call Catalina and order the boom vang and forestay. I've found they really do have decent prices.

I would not recommend Lake Mead for a small sailboat. Las Vegas is a city of 1.5 million and there really is only a handfull of hardcore sailors that regularly sail it. It is a motor lake primarily. Marinas do not rent any type of sailboat because of the danger. I sail it only because it is my only option and am extremly attentive to weather reports on the days I do.

Summer is my down time for sailing. I don't do 110-115 degrees. Spring and Fall are better. Jet ski's and the thermal winds are gone.

On a more positive note, the lake is amazing. Hundreds of small private coves, crystal clear water, coyotes on the shores, low humidity, and when the sailing is good, it is great. Just remember, if you trailor your boat here, it is not Mission Bay. Be prepaired not to sail.

Thanks for the report on sailing at Lake Meade. Sounds like I'll pass on it as far as sailing goes. I have sailed down stream at Lake Mohave. Good wind at times and had a lot of fun camping there. Weather was nice, water a little cold but just beautiful panoramic scenery.

Back