Paint touch up on Sunfish sail logo?

Repete

Sunfish1909
This may be a very unorthodox question, but can you paint or touch up the sunfish logo? I have a used sail that still looks good, but some of the sunfish logo is gray or rubbed, perhaps faded. What type of paint could I use to do this work? The sail is a Neil Pryde dacron sail.

Quite a few years ago I had a fish sail with a faded logo and contacted the company for a replacement logo. They told me they were screen printed on and as such not available. I ended up using a black Sharpie. Worked pretty well. No bleeding when it got wet and in the 2 years after, before I bought a new sail, it was still nice and black.

Thanks Mike, I thought of that at first, but assumed there would be bleeding right off the edge of the logo. I guess if I "stay between the lines" or in this case "on the original logo", the screened paint of the logo will hold off any bleed thru to the adjacent material without the logo. Thank your for your simple fix to this one.

Ok, I've screen printed on sails and was about to do the same thing a few years back. Eventually realized sail was so worn out I bought a new sail. An alternative would be to get some vinal insignia material from a local sailmaker and cut one out. If you reallly want to screen print it I can help you out, but it's my guess you don't want to go there.

Hi,
I agree with Al . I went to my local sailmaker with an outline of the logo and she is going to make me two insignias from Dacron Insignia tape. This is the same stuff that sail numbers are made from .
My mistake was that I found a local place that cleaned sails. They did a nice job but the solution they used caused the logo to fade.So I had a nice clean sail with a crappy looking logo.
She is charging me $15.00 per logo. You can also purchase insignia cloth for $15.00 a yard but most places wanted a minimum order of 5 yards
Herb

Al Court said:
Ok, I've screen printed on sails and was about to do the same thing a few years back. Eventually realized sail was so worn out I bought a new sail. An alternative would be to get some vinal insignia material from a local sailmaker and cut one out. If you reallly want to screen print it I can help you out, but it's my guess you don't want to go there.
Al and Sunfish60, thanks for your words of wisdom and experiences.

Al Court, what type of screen "paint or ink" did you use? I tried a line over my logo last night with a Sharpie, but I looks a little "brown or warm black" compared to the original black of the logo. From a distance it would look black, but I would like it to be really black and even. Your screening direction interests me. I have a steady hand and think I could freehand the perimeter and then fill it in. Please get back to me with what you have in your bag of tricks. I have a long winter up here in Michigan to tinker with this one. Thanks again.

Ok, I'm with Mike on this one. Sharpie!!! Quick, cheap, easy to find and easy to use. I have used on on a sail no problems.

Thanks gentlemen, I continued with the sharpie and it is quicker, cheaper, and does not bleed. I will continue with this fix. The founding father of the Sunfish had a masterplan in mind for the simplicity of the boats design as well as a logo color thats universal......................

BLACK.

Thanks for all of your help.

Back