Paint

oshea

Im just wondering what would be the best paint to puchase for painting my laser. Any information would be much appreciated.

Search thru the old threads, we've covered this before - seach on Alwgrip, Imron, Paint and Gel Coat

I'm with Greg, this topic has come up before. Awlgrip would be my first choice and if you choose it, make sure you study up on it and do your homework before applying. If you need help, you can contact me because I've done Awlgrip before.

Isnt Awlgrip really expensive?

i was considering paiting or regelcoating myself, does Awlgrip add alot of weight?

is it possible for me to apply it @ home or do i have to get a professional to do it

To answer your question, yes, Awlgrip is very expensive. It will cost you about $450 for the color base, reducer, and converter (all of which you need.) It will cost you about another $400 for the primer and its reducer and concerter too. Again I stress that if you choose Awlgrip, read up about it alot at www.awlgrip.com and please ask qeuestions and do your homework!

About the weight, yes it will add some, but no more than maybe 10-15 pounds varying on how much you sand down the previous gelcoat.

The good thing about Awlgrip is that it is very possible to do by yourslef at home. Using the rolling/tipping method it will go on very well. They even have very helpful videos I've seen on eBay that step buy step teaches you how to brush it. Of course when I restore my Lasers, I do it with a spray gun, but only because I do it to multiple boats. Read up about it, everything you'll need is at www.awlgrip.com and any questions you have you can contact me or e-mail awlgrip, they always got back to me very quickly.

I just bought a used laser. I'm going to paint the bottom with interlux brightside. I also would like to paint the top with the same paint. Are there any problems with painting the topside????

One word of advice concerning Brightside, I have used it before and it is pretty bad! The problem is that it is a cheap paint and if you even scratch it a litte it comes right off and shows the old gelcoat underneath. If you're not looking for a brand-new look and just want something to make it slook a little nicer than I suppose this is a cheap solution. However if you really do want a new boat look I'd go with the other options described above. For me and my restored boats, I want perfection and the Brightside I tried out just caused me more problems and money sanding it down and having to do it again with Awlgrip.

I know awlgrip is pretty tough -- but could anyone give me a practical sense of how tough relative to gelcoat? If you dragged an awlgripped hull up onto the beach, say, would it just rip all the awlgrip off the bottom? What if you dragged it up onto the beach repeatedly over the course of the summer?

Awlgrip does not come right off like that. Rather, it just looses its shine. If you take 60 grit sand paper with a palm sanding machine to the hull, it'll only take the shine away but still will have material there....I think you get the point. However, this shine that it has it the protective part and it may get discolored or further damaged by the sun on these areas.

Back