Perko bow handle

OK, no one had an answer so I bought one and it fits like a glove. Its perfect and beautiful and looks better than stock and boatersland.com had them the cheapest.

it looks like a cleat.

It looks like it might have been replaced at some point and the old cleat replaced with an aluminum one.

it looks like a cleat.

It looks like it might have been replaced at some point and the old cleat replaced with an aluminum one.

Thanks.
I know it sounded like a stupid question, but I'm trying to pin the time period that Alcort used the deck cleats that looked more like they might have come from a '50's car hood than a boat.

I saw your post and it looked like an identical bow handle as oem... but could the original only be zinc plated? I thought the original would have to be something more resistant to corrosion, but now that I think of it, perhaps that is the same as the original handle. (Mine does not seem to be stainless steel) If it rusts, let us know.

1st post here. I am restoring a 1964 Alcort and I need a new bow handle. The stock replacements are a bit pricey at $28 plus shipping. I found this one made by perko

http://www.boatersland.com/pko1234dp0chr.html

will it work, direct replacement?

That's a great price! :eek:

I bought two last year, and was disappointed that at $28, they were not nickle-plated bronze or stainless steel. :(

"Zinc" is a common casting metal—known as "Zamak"—but is not particularly strong and subject to disintegration over time. To see what yours is, press the bottom of the bow handle against a grinder (when it's running ;) ) to see if tiny sparks appear. Zinc produces no sparks.

After purchasing a '76, I pulled on the crusty-looking bow handle, and it collapsed in my hand. My emergency repair used plumbing strap and a "starting rope" with a wooden grip-handle. To lifr the boat up, you can get all your fingers around the handle, and it actually worked pretty well! :cool:

Attachments

• GEDC0077.JPG
    GEDC0077.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 66
I saw your post and it looked like an identical bow handle as oem... but could the original only be zinc plated? I thought the original would have to be something more resistant to corrosion, but now that I think of it, perhaps that is the same as the original handle. (Mine does not seem to be stainless steel) If it rusts, let us know.
I just discovered a stored stainless steel handrail—with one fitting of stainless steel, and another of zinc.

After storing it outdoors in only two years of direct sun and rain, guess which metal this one is...:eek:

Attachments

• P2150005-001.JPG
    P2150005-001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

Back