Pre-season fitness

Braecrest

Pre Season fitness, time to shead that "winter coat"

Ok guys, lets admit it, those of us who have been snow bound all winter are looking forward to the spring sailing season, which is right around the corner. But if your like me who just stepped on a scale yesterday and came to the realization that your not 16 years old anymore, and that the ideal laser weight is a little harder to maintain then it was. Personally, I'm only 10 lbs higher then what I should be, which isn't too bad.

The first step to a good fitness is a set routine; this could be an exercise routine, a diet routine, or both. Now me personally, I get up every other morning before revillie to go for a run, and then work out after class and sailing practice is over. However that doesn't seem too practicable for most people who don't attend a military institution.

Whatever you choose to do, I recommend a well balanced diet (no more keg stands or case races) and a fitness plan that includes both a cardio portion and a muscular portion.

If you want free professional advise I would recommend www.freetrainers.com you can sign up for free, imput your statistics, and goals, and they develope a day by day, week by week exercise plan for you. They provide a detailed pictoral description of each exercise recommended for you, as well as safety tips and advice. Once you've finished your workout, you can input and save your progress and monitor your gains. there is also a section which can help you select dietary and nutrional goals and advice. See you on the water!

Ditto that for Texas!
Some of our best sailing is in the winter time, before or after a norther,
Adios,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

I'm looking forward to year round sailing in my next billet,the USS Kauffman which is homeported in Norfolk VA with LANT Fleet, should be better then Long Island Sound...

Well we finally got snow these past few months in Maine so it's XC skiing time - every weekday morning I get a good 45 min to 1 hour of excellent cardio and overall workout before going off to work at 7:00 AM and the weekends have been at least one day of 3 -4 hours of long distance skiing so that I have LOST 10 lbs. this winter. I am now in the mindset that I don't want the snow to melt although before the snow came and with the sun and temps getting higher, it looks like cycling back and forth to work - lots of layers including neoprene cycling booties keep me warm until I am crazy enough to go out on the 43F water like those "crazies" in Boston Harbor and Newport.

The great thing about XC skiing is that I have never been cold even in single digit Fahrenheit weather which is more than I can say for frostbite Laser sailing

Back