pro rig vs reg(?) rig

Well, there is the regular or "full" rig and then there is the smaller Radial rig. The Radial is just a different class for smaller or younger sailors.

There also are a few different packages of full rigs. I don't remember the details, but it's mostly just about carbon fiber tillers and little upgrades like that.

There are three sail sizes that involve three different sized masts: Standard - 76 square feet, Radial - 62 square feet and 4.7 - 51 square feet.

The difference between the standard and pro models involve different controls for the Vang, Cunningham and Outhaul. If you look at page 5 through 8 of the attached rigging guide, you will see the difference between standard and pro set ups.

Attachments

• Laser_Rigging.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
but no mast differences in pro rig package? that was really my question

I don't think anyone knows what you're tlaking about when you say "pro" rig.

Are you talking about purchasing the boat with the upgraded cunningham/outhaul/vang package?

If so, then no, there are no changes in mast height.

As other have mentioned, there are three different sail option. These are the only things that affect mast height. Full Rig, Radial, 4.7.

Hope that clarifies.

but no mast differences in pro rig package? that was really my question

The "pro" rig refers to the upgraded vang, cunningham, and outhaul package. It's called the "XD" across the pond. It has nothing to do with mast height. In fact, it can be used with any of the Laser masts (but be sure you have extra line for the outhaul for the smaller rigs).

Thanks, my question stemmed from a comment that a seller made about his old lower section. He said it was older, not a "pro rig". I knew about the differences in the 4.7/radial/full, but wanted a complete understanding of what a "pro rig" was before purchasing. BTW, I still need a cheap good radial sail and lower mast section.

Thanks again!

Merrily is mostly correct, but there are actually three different "packages" available. What was called the "Pro" is now called the "Race". There are Standard, Race, and XD versions of the Laser available in the US. The Race has the vang, ch, outhaul upgrades plus a nicer ms block and line package while the XD also includes a carbon tiller and extension along with another line package upgrade. The spars are all the same.

Back