Redoing the Hull...

marvin-miller

Arrrr...
Avast ye matey's! :D

I'm planning on re-doing the bottom of my hull at some point and have a couple of questions.

First, it's been sanded/painted before so it's now wearing a different color. It also has some spots that are worn through to the fiberglass so I'm planning on building those back up with epoxy and then sanding smooth again.

I really don't want to spend years hand sanding the hull. It doesn't have to be 100% with respect to finish. So I need to use some sort of tool for sanding it. I can't use an airtool because my compressor's tank is smallish. So that leaves me with electrical.

Does anyone know what kind of sander would work well for sanding the bottom of the boat?

Update: It looks like these are my choices?

You might want to try applying gelcoat.
I don't know much about it, but you might find some other thread about how to do it.

-Jeff

dont do it, you will be very unhappy with the job a random orbital electric sander will do and it will take forever. I would go to your local auto parts store and buy various grits of long board sandpaper(about 20" long fits a pneumatic long board I believe) and pick up the board it sticks on, or I have used a piece of foam about 16" long 2" thick works great. Fairing out the hull using a cross h atch pattern does not take that long and you will have a great bottom when you are done. smooth and clean surface to paint. this is an example of one I did

Attachments

• Laser rehab.jpg
    Laser rehab.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 104
dont do it, you will be very unhappy with the job a random orbital electric sander will do and it will take forever. I would go to your local auto parts store and buy various grits of long board sandpaper(about 20" long fits a pneumatic long board I believe) and pick up the board it sticks on, or I have used a piece of foam about 16" long 2" thick works great. Fairing out the hull using a cross h atch pattern does not take that long and you will have a great bottom when you are done. smooth and clean surface to paint. this is an example of one I did
Danggg! That looks great!! You're going to have to change from Scars and Scrapes to Smooth and Shinny....or something...:D.
Really nice work....what year is it?

that boat is a 1980 I want to say. found it in a barn in northern MI was really stiff and a great deck sitting on a kitty hawk, I wanted the trailer and got a inexpensive boat for the beach instead of the pretty one. bottom was scratched pretty bad so fairing was the way to go.

s1086708761_30417100_7224928.jpg

This one is a 1988 that was in pretty good shape bottom wise, some minor scratches, deck was shot. faired this bottom too, metal flake in the paint is pretty cool and my brother completely redid the deck, cutting out soft spots, rebuilding and all new non skid, it is called Jaime Summers(6 million dollar laser). she looks good though

Thanks scars :)

It's hard to argue with results like that! Did you spray the bottom?

Marv what ever you end up doing be sure to accompany it with a thread as detailed as your mast step one.

You're sure saving me lots of leg work :D

Thanks - that's the exact result I was hoping for when I picked everyone's brains in the mast step issue and then documented it.

It would be nice if posts like that were pinned to the top of the forum because there's got to be at least 20 or 30 separate threads - all with various bits & pieces on mast step repairs. I was trying for the 'all-inclusive' mother of all threads :D

Anyway, I am interested if Scars & Scrapes boat was sprayed? I don't have spray equipment but I like the idea of board sanding it especially if an orbital is the wrong path :) More info needed!

Has anyone on here rolled and tipped their Laser? If so with what results?

I'm dealing with a $400 cottage cruiser that goes in and out of a beach with plenty of rocks... heck boulders. I'm not interested in winning painting contests, just possibly cleaning it up.

I'll probably not paint for a while, other fixes have higher priority, I don't have a dolly and sailing takes priority over paint jobs.

yes both were sprayed, you could probably find a auto repair shop that would shoot it for you, I have access to a guy that does it for me. Paint is not cheap but its a little boat as well. The white on both boats is the same so I saved a little there and the hull stripe is fairly small amount of paint.
I have seen a roll and tip job done, not too bad looking either. I like the ability to get a real smooth high shine on that comes with the sprayed boat and then rubbed out and polished, neither boat in the photo's had had that done yet when photo's were taken, so they look even better.

when I get my ducks in a row I will try to document start to finish with more photos of the yellow boat, I am now contemplating spraying the deck because the hull looks so good.

M

i just used a simple old orbital sander (about £10) off amazon, i also used the simple old roller and interlux boat paint for the hull. there is a younger boat then mine at our club that has been professional sprayed but to be honest the sprayed boat does have a nicer design but in my opinion if you just want a paint job that doesn't cost an arm and a leg you cant beat the old roller and paintbrush

Back