replacing a rivet

crazysailor

Hi every body
i broke a rivet that holds down the top retaining pin on my rudder, and i don't know how to replace it can anybody help that would be terrific. :)

Sincerely,
Crazy Sailor

crazysailor said:
Hi every body
i broke a rivet that holds down the top retaining pin on my rudder, and i don't know how to replace it can anybody help that would be terrific. :)

Sincerely,
Crazy Sailor

Hi Crazy Sailor. I'd go to a hardware store and buy a riveting tool. They are sort of like big ol' pliers. Also get some rivets. :)

Not sure what broke.

If it is one of the fasteners that holds the little retaining flap on the transom, you can probably find another #10 screw and replace the broken one. if you cannot get the olkd screw pout, you can drill and install a new one just below the old one and it should work just fine.

if you are writing about the upper pintle and the rivets that hold it to the aluminum rudder head cheeks The answer is lots different.
First I would call vanguard and seek their advice.
1. This is not something I can fix correctly in my shop. I don't have the right tools or the rivets.
2. The top rivets on the rudder head can be replaced with 1 1/2 inch or maybe longer machine screws and nuts. The compression tube on newer rudder heads is a plastic piece and your bolt would have to fit inside the tube. You miust have the tube to hold the two sides apart, or the rudder head will simply collapse.

The fix? Remove the olkd rivet and insert the bolt. You may have to drill the rivet out or grind away teh head of teh rivet to get it out of there. The hole in the aluminum may be too big after all your drilling and you may need a bigger bolt. Try not to hurt the aluminum sheet.

If I had to fix the lower aft rivet where the rudder blade is there instead of a compression tube, I would first call vanguard for advice and then seek out a local sheet metal fabrication facility.

Good luck and

Why and How did it break??

gouvernail said:
Not sure what broke.

If it is one of the fasteners that holds the little retaining flap on the transom, you can probably find another #10 screw and replace the broken one. if you cannot get the olkd screw pout, you can drill and install a new one just below the old one and it should work just fine.

if you are writing about the upper pintle and the rivets that hold it to the aluminum rudder head cheeks The answer is lots different.
First I would call vanguard and seek their advice.
1. This is not something I can fix correctly in my shop. I don't have the right tools or the rivets.
2. The top rivets on the rudder head can be replaced with 1 1/2 inch or maybe longer machine screws and nuts. The compression tube on newer rudder heads is a plastic piece and your bolt would have to fit inside the tube. You miust have the tube to hold the two sides apart, or the rudder head will simply collapse.

The fix? Remove the olkd rivet and insert the bolt. You may have to drill the rivet out or grind away teh head of teh rivet to get it out of there. The hole in the aluminum may be too big after all your drilling and you may need a bigger bolt. Try not to hurt the aluminum sheet.

If I had to fix the lower aft rivet where the rudder blade is there instead of a compression tube, I would first call vanguard for advice and then seek out a local sheet metal fabrication facility.

Good luck and
Why and How did it break??

I'm not sure i was sailing when i got back i noticed that the rudder was homemade (made of plywood and not symetrical) so i took it home to get a better look at it and i noticed that the top pintle was loose.

upon closer examination i also noticed that the sleeve that you slide the tiller in is also home made. so i suppose since i want to race i'll just wind up replaceing the head. yayy more money gone:mad:

Sincerely CrazySailor

Back