replacing bullseye fairlead

brianZ71

I have a '91 fish and while setting up my rigging in high winds yesterday the lower boom somehow managed to swing around and break off the top of my bullseye fairlead. the screws and bottom half are still intact on the hull.

my question is- this boat should have aluminum backing plates instead of wood blocks. will I be able to just remove and screw down a new bullseye, or will the holes be stripped? probably a dumb question. thanks in advance.

You should be able to unscrew the old one and replace it fairly easily provided the replacement is the same size.

Not sure what type of backer plate you have but a good habit is to only remove one screw at a time in case the plate is loose.

Also, there is a thread on adding a cleat to the mast to secure the halyard, that may be of interest to you, and then use the bullseye to keep the mast from departing (if capsized).

excellent idea on both parts. I never would have thought of doing one screw at a time. I've been planning on adding a mast cleat anyways, i'll tack that onto this order.

Back