Roll-tacking in a drifter

I have real problems roll tacking when the wind is very light, less than 2 knots. Generally my roll tacking is OK but when the wind drops off and is very very light ( tell tales won't work , boat hardly moves forward), I have problems. I luff up, roll the boat to windward and sit there with the boat on top of me. Sometimes I get past head to wind but it won't go any further so when I finally come across the boat I have a real problem as the boat is not far enough round and I am now going backwards and 1/2 knot rather than forwards at 1/2 knot. The last time I even rolled the boat over on top of me and capsized whilst waiting for the boat to tack round completely that was embarassing in next to zero wind!

What you want to do before you enter the tack is to roll the boat slightly to leeward. Then as you luff into the wind you pull the boat flat and then on top of you this should allow you to go past the wind easily and still have some speed.

In 2 knots of wind every once of speed is key so keep a little leeward heel in but make sure that you dont go so fast that the boat shakes and shutters from your jumping around to the other side. Without an opposing wind force like you would see in 12-15 the boat will come down a lot faster and make a pig splash which by that time all speed is gone. Act like a ballerina and take it slow.

Keep the boat healed to leeward, then slowly heal the boat to windward, when there is little to no wind you have to roll the boat very smoothly using your weight alone. Take your time rolling the boat and when it is heeled over to windward stand on the sidewall of the cockpit and maintain the heel before flattening with a nice smooth motion. As you flatten the boat give the mainsheet a pump as this will help you accelerate. Make sure the blades are touching the water before you flatten the boat.

It might take a few capsizes to learn the technique and healing limits, but since its usually hottest when there's no wind a quick dip can really cool you off.

Back