Rudder downhaul routing

chemprof

I just got my new 2012 Laser, race rigged. I would like to know the exact route the rudder downhaul line should take to the tiller, especially thru the bottom of the two horizontal rods or pins that connect the metal sides. It seems likely that the line needs to be aft of the top pin, but if it is aft of the bottom pin, then when the rudder is fully down, the line gets sandwiched between the pin and the rounded part of the rudder.

Also, I did get the Megabolt, but my rudder is so stiff to lower that even when the regular bolt is loose, it is difficult to raise and lower. Should I put the Megabolt aside for now? FYI, I plan to launch from my slip at the lake, so it isn't a problem locking the rudder in the down position.

-- Ed

Thanks laserxd! It appears from the picture (three above Step 9), that the line does pass forward of the bottom pin. I thought this would have to be the case, since at least with mine, the new rudder cannot be pushed down as far if the line were in between the rudder and the pin.

How about that Megabolt? Do you folks find you really need it?

-- Ed

Hey Ed,

that's true it would keep it from going all the way down or at least make it harder,

so from the rear of the rudder the line goes outside the pin (under/towards the hull) then inside (over/towards the rudder), that way the rudder can go all the way down and the downhaul line stays away from the gudgeons,

to make the extra purchase, you tie a bowline to make a loop close to the rudder stock, run the line through the cleat, back through the bowline loop, and then back through the cleat again,

The megabolt is a good idea, its just a little extra insurance to keep the rudder down, it takes some of the force off the rudder downhaul so its a good thing,

Thanks for the routing info on that line. Whoever set it up did it incorrectly ... you should have seen how they rigged my new, still in the package, harken vang upgrade. It was a mess.

Well, I'm almost done practicing with the rigging, doing the upgrades, whipping the line ends, etc. --- it is off to the Lake to launch and take my first ride in my new Laser.

-- Ed

I had that happen when I bought my vang as well, it wasn't even close, they might as well just give you the pieces

best of luck on your maiden voyage!

Back