scorpoin

preston

ok i know that we are supposed to stay focused on SF but i had a deal that i could not say no to. Free. ok here is the situation good hull and and everything but a rudder / tiller and daggerboard. owner cannot locate these items. boat includes a decent trailer. so can i get these items or is it possible to use SF parts and change out. thanks for any suggestions.

Not knowing the Scorpion rudder system I don't know if Sunfish parts are interchangable with the Scorpion, but I do recall the Scorpion as being being made in the late 60 or early 70s, when the Sunfish had the old style rudder system. With that in mind, perhaps the same system used to upgrade the old Sunfish rudder could be used on the Scorpion. Maybe some has tried this and can say if it will work.

The dagger board works but not the rudder. The Scorpion, made by IIRC Carolina Car company, used a metal spring arrangement to secure the rudder. Best case would be using the upgrade kit designed to upgrade the old type Sunfish Rudder/attachment to the new style. But it ain't cheap.
A little history, when the Scorpion first came out they had a sail with more draft than the old Ratsey sail. They wiped the butts of the Fish until the new Fogh sail came out. That was the end of the Scorpion...LOL
Actually they had a larger cockpit than the old fish and were a really nice boat in their day.

Re: scorpion

well got my new project boat in today. man i must be crazy to keep fooling with these old boats. anyway this boat is in good shape just dirty from sitting outside for along time. the shape is almost the same as sf. a few interesting differences and a rather nice finish. it is white. i will at some point change out the fitting on the rear to match up with sunfish rudder system. I guess i will have a spare hull for back up until i get a daggerboard and rudder assemply cheap somewhere. the trailer has strange wheels that do not have lug bolts. i am not sure where to get a spare tire for the trailer.

Does it have lugs where the stud and lug nut are all one piece? if so they take standard wheels. The lug nut taper is under the head of the bolt that locates the wheel.
They are fairly common on small boat trailers.
You might want to check for a stamped "L" in one side of the trailer lugs. Some small trailers use left handed lugs on one side. Of course I found out that the hard way after snapping two off trying to loosen them. With the L it is righty loosen, lefty tighten, not the other way around.

I know a guy with one of these boats. Is it common practice to allow the Scorpions to race in a Sunfish OD fleet? He was hoping to race at the Merrimac Memorial Regatta. I was inclined to allow it since we are hurting for Sunfish.

in my research about scorpions i ran across info that said that they were allowed in the class. i starting cleaning it yesterday and this thing is pretty cool little boat. the drain plug in cockpit is realy neat for example also it has a nice built in ridge in the hull around the cockpit, and the coming is modeled into hull.

wheels on trailer- let me try to describe it. i believe it is called a steel intergrated wheel. looks like a wheel on wheelbarrow or a lawnmower. the hub is a part of the wheel and has a buddy bearing to lube it. i would like to put on conventional wheels with lug nuts. i am wondering if i could put on a hub to the existing axel?

mike4947 said:
Best case would be using the upgrade kit designed to upgrade the old type Sunfish Rudder/attachment to the new style. But it ain't cheap.

We Sunfishers tend to be a tad myopic. Since your Scorpion doesn't have it's own One Design Class and even if it is allowed to sail with Sunfish in club events it still won't be allowed in ISCA events. That being the case you are unincumbered of the Sunfish mystique. You can refit with any parts you like. A rudder replacement could come from Dotan, Aqua Finn, IdaSailor, Tosh Boatworks, Al the shop teacher, just to mention a fraction of sources available. The possibilities are endless once the cloud of purple sparkle Sunfish smoke has cleared away. (Poof) :rolleyes:

the picture of the wheel is what is on the trailer. funny you sent me that link because i spoke with one the tech people at that company about changing out to a conventiaonal hub assembly and then putting on regular wheel with lug bolts and nuts. it looks like it will cost about 150. 00 to make the a modification. i guess 150 in a free trailer is not to bad. the trailer is in decent shape.

thanks for giving me the idea of going to a different rudder assembly. i will start looking for some used deals. the boat is cleaning up nicely. it has a thick almost rubber feel to the deck. really a neat boat.

Preston,

Might be easier to sell off this trailer and purchase another with conventional wheels. Look up Champion Trailers. The internet catalog is good for viewing parts. An alternative to explore is a complete axle kit w/wheels.

Different rudder assemblies won't guarantee a deal only more options. Sunfish doesn't have a corner on the high cost market. Dotan stuff is way up there. It's slick working, but you pay. My point really is this, you may find someone who knows your boat's equipment and fit you up no need for a conversion. If you must convert non-proprietary fittings could be easier to buy pieces and parts for down the road.

Hi
Am very familar with scorpions and have done some rudder conversions.
My recollection is that the scorpion had an internal backup plate so it was not necessary to drill an inspection port to install one.
Also only the newer sunfish arrangement would be viable. If you install the older version there is nothing to back up the deckplate or latch.
I ws a sunfish dealer at the time (70's) and recall that the boat was very well made and fiuilled to the brim with foam flotation
I have some used stuff around here if you are nterested. The daggerboard and running rigging are interchangeable
[email protected]

Thanks for the input and the mounting asembly. i will drop you a email concerning the used parts. This boat is really growing on me, it is fun to see something like this coming back to life. the boat had been left out since about 85. now it has a nice white hull and beautiful again. The hull feels solid.

Back