Squeaking rudder

fferm

Hi

My rudder is squeaking when I turn it, especially when there are some side loads on it like when I sail upwind. The squeaking is coming from the connections to the hull (sorry, don't know the correct word for those in english).

The boat is from 1995, so it has a few years on it.

What is the best way to get rid of the squeaking? I have tried greasing the connections using regular grease, but that didn't really help a lot.

Regards
/ Fredrik

Pintle and gudgeon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pintle ) .

If it squeaks, and lubrication does not fix it, possibly it is worn/galled/rough so that lubrication is not enough. If that were the case, in the US I would use a very fine flexible wet sanding paper and smooth the pintle a bit, and try again.

I think mine squeaks too, but I pay it no attention.

It is most likely to be the tiller rubbing on the transom with a tight traveller.
Try either replacing the gudgeons (rudder mounts) with new, unworn ones, or insert a washer between the rudder pin and the gudgeon to raise the whole rudder assembly slightly (purists will say this is sub optimal, but it is cheap, and will let you test if this is the problem).

It is most likely to be the tiller rubbing on the transom with a tight traveller.
Try either replacing the gudgeons (rudder mounts) with new, unworn ones, or insert a washer between the rudder pin and the gudgeon to raise the whole rudder assembly slightly (purists will say this is sub optimal, but it is cheap, and will let you test if this is the problem).

Yeah, it's this. Mine makes noise and it's the tiller rubbing against the transom. I just ignore it.

Back