The first Laser brochure (I think)

aroy

Cleaning out the basement, and in an old box of sailing stuff I came across this ancient Laser brochure. Must be the first one. Here's the 10 ten things I love about it:

1. The windowless, Elvstrom sail. Probably an early Fogh prototype, maybe the first.

2. The guy reaching along, seemingly dressed in street clothes, with an obvious need for more vang tension (seems like the vang connection on the mast is higher off the deck than normal ?).

3. No clew tie-down, but I like the reinforced clew.

4. What a miniscule mainsheet block, and this was certainly before the invention of the auto bailer.

5. Not sure what they were getting at with reference to "adjustable traveller in "up" position tends to centre boom over cockpit".

6. The woody wagon is pretty cool, and I like the rightside up car topping method.

7. Ref. to 120 lb. boat weight. Not sure they were ever that light, or was this just hype to sell it as an easy car topper?

8. Choice of British Racing Green hull colour.

9. The pictures of Brue, Ian and Hans.

10. They were right on with their prediction that: "... This will ensure the popularity of the class ...".

Attachments

• Laser brochure pg 1+4.jpg
    Laser brochure pg 1+4.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 235
  • Laser brochure pg 2+3.jpg
    Laser brochure pg 2+3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 235
Awesome... the guy I bought my first boat off of found this same brochure and dropped it off on our porch when we werent around, unfortunately it got soaked and I wasnt able to read it. Thanks for posting this.

I had the "miniscule mainsheet block" on my key chain for a while until the clevis pin retainer wore out... the thing might be an inch in diameter.

"Note the adjustable boom vang"... ummm yea... the only time that vang was adjustable was when you were in water shallow enough to get out of the boat... the way that the vang attached to the mast has changed also... it used to be a small loop of metal that the vang attached to with a shackle...

I still have the windowless Elvstrom sail... it's as soft as toilet paper now. I keep it because I think it represents some history of the class. To think for a while that when they switched away from the Elvstrom, a lot of the top guys at the time hoarded them...

I have a friend still winning club races with an ancient Elvestrom.

Remarkable. That’s exactly what I remember about the sailmaker and Olympic Champion Paul Elvstrom.
It was something like this: “Give me an average boat and I will win” :)

I have seen it before, but everytime someone posts it I watch it again...

None of the boats in this video are older than mine...

Back