Theres not such thing as a free boat (scratch) free daggerboard

jaas75

Ok a few weeks ago i had the great idea of getting a busted frp daggerboard and restoring it, a very kind fellow member of sunfish forums (yahoo) gave me his.
I was happy as a clam (still am) but then i started to buy the restoring supplies and began to realize the $$$$ money and time is very similar to just get a "practice one" at intensitysa...
Let me re-iterate im very grateful of getting this daggerboard and its a Fun project:) but wow its lots of work and the supplies are not that cheap

polyester resin (cheap and smelly, but very handy)
fiberglass cloth/ mat
nails
mondo all purpose putty
marinetex putty
brushes/gloves/etc

all in all like 60 bucks plus shipping for the daggerboard , cost little less than getting a new practice one

OK lets start, big chunk gone at the trailing edge and at the bottom tip (measures only 41.5 at the tip) so it needs 2.5 more :eek:
upload_2016-6-6_15-44-44.png

to give some support to the missing parts i made a "skeleton" structure with nails
upload_2016-6-6_15-47-52.png

so painters tape to serve as the back and template
upload_2016-6-6_15-49-7.png

fiberglass layers and layers:)
upload_2016-6-6_15-50-46.png

upload_2016-6-6_15-52-6.png

a little putty to make the middle of the hydro foil (if you start using polyester remember cant use epoxy putty because top polyester layer wont attach well to epoxy)
upload_2016-6-6_15-53-18.png

Tada!!!! the structural FIX is done;):)
upload_2016-6-6_15-56-46.png

now for the part i lack experience , how to givea proper finish and how to sand without damaging the foil shape or the undamage parts, im afraid ill go to far with my orbital sander or the grit to be to rough (i have 60-100-120)
I know mondo putty is very frown upon on wooden boats (because absorbs water) but i dont want to spend any more $$$$ and i the marinetex is very expensive and have very little (2 oz) , please advice what can i do

thxs in advance and sorry for long post (i also wanted to give a little tutorial on how to fix a broken daggerboard or rudder)

jose

"...now for the part i lack experience , how to give a proper finish and how to sand without damaging the foil shape or the undamaged parts, im afraid ill go to far with my orbital sander or the grit to be too rough (i have 60-100-120) jose..."
Thanks for the pictures. You've made me aware of how difficult fixing a frp daggerboard will be. :confused: (I have three worn mahogany boards that only need varnish—now, if I could only determine which is the leading edge...!) :oops:

Go ahead and start sanding with 60, and pick up a "straight-edge". (A metal ruler of about 18"). Use the ruler to find the "high" spots.

Alternatively, automotive paint and body stores can furnish 2x17" sandpaper strips. These can be glued to a straight 2x4: manual sanding with the 2x4 will keep the long axis straight.

To keep from damaging the foil shape, rub or spray rubbing alcohol on the surface you had previously sanded. The reflected shine will tell you where more sanding is needed. It'll evaporate quickly-enough to return to "work". ;)

and what about using bondo all purpose putty, i know the guys at wooden boats hate it but would it be so bad to use it now ?? (i already hae it and dont want to spend more $$$ on a fancier putty

and what about using bondo all purpose putty, i know the guys at wooden boats hate it but would it be so bad to use it now ?? (i already have it and dont want to spend more $$$ on a fancier putty
What do the guys at Wooden Boats have to say?

I don't know about being immersed in water, but over time, automotive Bondo loses its shape. :confused: Maybe Bondo for tiny holes, but not large areas. I use automotive "glazing putty", which is holding up; however, I'm using it (and sanding it flat) for scratches, not large surfaces.

P5120024_zpshzelnthi.jpg

The bad news:

IMO...But even if your "renewed" frp board gets to looking "new", IMO, I don't think it will have the strength to hold an adult's weight in returning a capsized Sunfish upright. :oops: IMO.

Did I mention, IMO?

Painting the surface with black paint puts a really good shine on the surface, but gums-up sandpaper. :( Rubbing alcohol is inexpensive, evaporates quickly, and puts a "shine" on the fiberglass that shows where more sanding is needed. :)

Last edited:
L&VW has a very good point - that fix will most likely not be adequate to prevent the FRP board from snapping in half if an adult tries to leverage his weight on the board end to upright a flipped over (or turtled) Sunfish.

If your using polyester resin, you'll want to get sand paper, or disks, that have a clog free coating. They will last much longer and make the sanding easier and quicker.
Bondo is ok to use for filling cracks, it will not absorb moisture if it is primed and painted. I also use glazing compound for scratches, is't quick and east to use, and sand smooth easily. Again, it must be primed and painted.

L&VW has a very good point - that fix will most likely not be adequate to prevent the FRP board from snapping in half if an adult tries to leverage his weight on the board end to upright a flipped over (or turtled) Sunfish.
There should be metal rods in the board to prevent that from happening. Or at least, minimize the possibility.
I am surprised jaas75 didn't run into them with such a deep shark bite.

There should be metal rods in the board to prevent that from happening. Or at least, minimize the possibility.
I am surprised jaas75 didn't run into them with such a deep shark bite.
'Glad I didn't state "snapping in half". (I didn't know about the metal rods). :oops:

Are those rods present in the daggerboard knock-offs advertised at eBay? Other than X-ray, can the rods be otherwise detected?

yeah the rods are there !!:) (that gives me hope) the shark bite was a little shy from cutting a metal rod

Reactions: tag
I was given a sunfish last year that needed some work but was had a good trailer, sail, rudder, and dagger board.

$500 later and I have fiberglass experience and a very nice boat that I could have bought in similar condition for $600. Somehow, the expensive freebies have a way of becoming "yours" after all the hard work.

Back