Upgrades

Barometer Soup

My boat is a stock 1984. I am interested in doing some upgrades to the rigging. Are the upgrade kits that Laser sells the ones to get or do you prefer something else? The seem a bit pricey at $250-$265 each. I live in Utah and we don't have a fleet here so I don't need to be ultra competitive.

Barometer Soup

Well if you live where it is windy and youre somewhat light then you would want the cunningham outhaul upgrade, if youre somewhat heavier then you should be fine, but if it is occasionally windy you might still want to go with the cunningham outhaul upgrade!

Well if you already have the old vang, 3:1, there are ways to make it 12:1, I think, if you want to spend the money go for it, but I am little and I need the most purchases i can get, so thats the only reason i got both upgrades, another upgrade it the carbon tiller, If you plan on racing more than occasionally you should indeed get it! But other tillers are fine if youre just having fun!

What about the vang upgrade-not neccessary?
Barometer Soup

Just get a swivel and rig it like this, but with small blocks instead of loops as shown in the photo below of my vang:

VangRig-Shevy.gif

VangRig-Shevy2.gif

VangRig-Shevy3.gif

IMG_3708.jpg

The ratio is 8:1 in the picture shown by sailchris, the same as I currently use. Look at the long part, there are four moving lines, which is then doubled by the two part bit that runs to the handle.
I'm upgrading to the XD kicker this season, because that one control provides more ability to power up or down than the others do. The only reason I'm changing is because the angle of the old cleat makes it almost impossible to adjust the kicker on a windy run, because it points along the boom, even with the swivel. This didn't matter to me until recently, as I usually won in the mixed fleet here, beating the other lasers quite easily. Now a former national champ has turned up with a brand new scorpion, and I'm having to up my game as they beat me in 7 out of 8 races at the end of last year!

The outhaul and cunningham can be upgraded to identical systems as the XD kit provides, using cheaper blocks from any chandlery. You still need the deck cleat arrangement tho' if you want to run them both to the deck.

The ratio is 8:1 in the picture shown by sailchris, the same as I currently use. Look at the long part, there are four moving lines, which is then doubled by the two part bit that runs to the handle.

Actually, it's 6:1 because there it's a 3:1 purchase multiplied by the addition of a 2:1 purchase before the cleat, but it works better than the old higher purchase systems with loops because there is much less friction.

I know there are ways to make a 12:1, look on the rooster sailing website, it might be there but i know i saw it on an old thread here

Back