What about Flex Seal and similar Gorilla products?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
By now you will probably have seen TV ads for the Flex Seal line of products for sealing and waterproofing. Gorilla appears to market similar products, I think.
Have any of you actually used one of these products and if so, what kind of repairs did you do and what was the outcome?

Thanks from the lazy repairman (me) for any info along these lines.

By now you will probably have seen TV ads for the Flex Seal line of products for sealing and waterproofing. Gorilla appears to market similar products, I think.
Have any of you actually used one of these products and if so, what kind of repairs did you do and what was the outcome?
Yes, I have. We wanted to seal a crack in the bottom of our rain gutter above the front steps. After a bit of research (and watching some Flex Seal videos) I got some Flex Seal Spray On Sealant Coating.

I sprayed the crack area, from above, with about 3 coats. It looked like it was all sealed up but the next day when we poured some water up there it still leaked. Used various tools to remove all the Spray On Sealant.

Next we tried Flex Seal Liquid Rubber Coating Sealant. 16 oz, Gray. That was a consistancy of thick paint. Hard to get it to coat smoothly like paint because it started to set up so fast. Put on 2 coats and tested for leaks the next day. The Liquid Rubber Coating totally sealed up the crack and made it water tight. No leaks of any kind all last winter, even with the record rainfall we had in California.

Give it a try!!

- Phil Swift

Phil-Swift.jpg

"Now That's A Lot Of Damage!!!"

TFSGRYR0405_Tape_GRY_4in_90mm__1000px.jpg

Yee Doggy!

I bought a roll of the tape version of Flex Seal for emergency use on another boat. It's been four years and I have yet to deploy it. Wondering if it has a shelf life? I should steel myself and peel off the expensive tape's wrapper and try some...Another thing that it inexpensive for damage control is toilet bowl wax. The trick for that would be keeping it accessible and packaged so it does not ooze out of its cardboard box and inner mold (use a better resealable container I guess).

Thanks for the responses.
With the knowledge acquired, what kind of repairs could be done successfully?
Any?

PS: The reason for my question is that my hull has a small crack in the daggerboard well; not uncommon. It would be nice if I could 'tape it up' or spray some sealant in the area. Yes, I am lazy with respect to repairing things :(.

my hull has a small crack in the daggerboard well; not uncommon. It would be nice if I could 'tape it up' or spray some sealant in the area. Yes, I am lazy with respect to repairing things :(.
As Tops pointed out, there's Flex Tape. Position it carefully the first time though because as they say, "Once fully bonded, Flex Tape cannot be repositioned." I haven't used it but the if you want to remove it you need to use Flex Tape Adhesive Remover which is a spray. But this remover product seems to have disappeared.

Of course, the very best thing about Flex Tape is... the commercials. Like cutting a boat in half and repairing it with Flex Tape.

- Phil Swift

Phil-Swift-Boat.jpg

Back