Where was this Sunfish Made?

Alan S. Glos

I have recently acquired a nice 2018 Sunfish that I am tricking out to be my race boat. The Hull ID Number is: CN-LPE44059D718. Two questions: Was this hull built in China or Portugal? I don't know as I don't know when production shifted from China to Portugal (and I vaguely recall they were even being made in England for a short time.) Anybody know?

Second, does this 2018 hull still have internal foam blocks or does it have internal air bottles like the Lasers of this vintage?.m

Three other things about this boat: There is no vinyl covering on the bare down-facing fiberglass cockpit lip - its a little tough on the top of your feet without the the padding. Fortunately i have a vinyl cover that I plan to install with some 3-M 5200 adhesive -an easy fix. Also the forward end of the hiking strap attaches just under deck level on the forward cockpit tub wall rather than just off the floor of the cockpit tub. I am not liking this configuration and will probably lower the forward attachment point to Vanguard specs.
Last, I don't see an air pressure release hole anywhere and I don't want to blow the deck off the hull the first time the boat is sitting in the sun on a 95 degree day! I plan to drill a proper vent hole if I can't find one.

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The Hull ID Number is: CN-LPE44059D718. Two questions: Was this hull built in China or Portugal? I don't know as I don't know when production shifted from China to Portugal (and I vaguely recall they were even being made in England for a short time.) Anybody know?
”CN” means China (PR of). Portugal would be PT and England GB.

”D718” means building date April 2017, model year 2018.

_

Sure looks like it was made in China.
Can't answer the other questions though. :oops:

Some thoughts:
If you turn the hull upside down, do you hear something moving (air bags).
Under certain conditions the foam inserts (if the hull has them) will leave a dew imprint on the deck.
Not sure about this idea either, but if you knock gently on the deck, you might find the inserts (if they are there).

I have recently acquired a nice 2018 Sunfish that I am tricking out to be my race boat. The Hull ID Number is: CN-LPE44059D718. Two questions: Was this hull built in China or Portugal? I don't know as I don't know when production shifted from China to Portugal (and I vaguely recall they were even being made in England for a short time.) Anybody know?

Second, does this 2018 hull still have internal foam blocks or does it have internal air bottles like the Lasers of this vintage?.m

Three other things about this boat: There is no vinyl covering on the bare down-facing fiberglass cockpit lip - its a little tough on the top of your feet without the the padding. Fortunately i have a vinyl cover that I plan to install with some 3-M 5200 adhesive -an easy fix. Also the forward end of the hiking strap attaches just under deck level on the forward cockpit tub wall rather than just off the floor of the cockpit tub. I am not liking this configuration and will probably lower the forward attachment point to Vanguard specs.
Last, I don't see an air pressure release hole anywhere and I don't want to blow the deck off the hull the first time the boat is sitting in the sun on a 95 degree day! I plan to drill a proper vent hole if I can't find one.

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
We want to see some pics of your tricked out Sunfish.
I know LP raised the attachment point of the hiking strap (not sure of year). This year they announced they are moving it back down. This was announced shortly after this poll on FB.

US Sunfish Class | HIKING STRAP MOUNTING HEIGHT:

Sure looks like it was made in China.
Can't answer the other questions though. :oops:

Some thoughts:
If you turn the hull upside down, do you hear something moving (air bags).
Under certain conditions the foam inserts (if the hull has them) will leave a dew imprint on the deck.
Not sure about this idea either, but if you knock gently on the deck, you might find the inserts (if they are there).
I have a 2023 and the air bladders are secured somehow or another because when I flip the boat I don't hear them move.

Back